Atlantis recognizes that we all have a direct impact on the environment. That's why Atlantis has implemented eco-friendly processes and solutions in its operations.
Atlantis Recognized by NV Energy as Lifetime Leader in Sustainability
For over 14 years, Atlantis Casino Resort Spa has participated in NV Energy’s energy efficiency program, designed to offer technical assistance and monetary incentives for companies who strive to reduce their carbon footprint. In addition to their involvement, Atlantis has also participated on speaker panels to promote efficiency to peers in the industry, as well as has demonstrated a robust business strategy aligned with sustainability efforts.
Atlantis Reno Furthers Efforts for Sustainability
Experts at Eco-Cycle predict that 500 million straws are used every day in the United States, a number that could fill over 127 school buses each day. Most of those straws are non-biodegradable and do not compost, ending up in landfills and oceans.
In order to combat this waste, Atlantis Casino Resort Spa has joined forces with other industry leaders and cities also dedicated to environmentalism.
Quite some time ago, Atlantis stopped automatically serving straws alongside non-alcoholic beverages, and servers began presenting guests the option of using a straw or not. Effective immediately, Atlantis Food & Beverage Team Members will stop offering straws for all beverages. Straws will still be available upon request. This includes plastic straws, stir sticks and cocktail sipping straws.
Atlantis Northern Nevada’s Sole Four Green Globes Certified Resort
Atlantis Casino Resort Spa announces that it is the only building in northern Nevada to be assessed by the Green Building Initiative (GBI), resulting in its top rating – the prestigious Four Green Globes certification.
The Four Green Globes certification indicates a score of 85 percent to 100 percent, proving that a property demonstrates national leadership and excellence in the practice of water, energy, and environmental efficiency to reduce environmental impacts.
Environmentally friendly drinking water
In our ongoing effort to increase the availability of environmentally friendly products, Atlantis has installed new water stations from Vivreau Advanced Water Systems. This premium drinking water, which comes in both still and sparkling varieties, is offered free of charge to all of our guests on the casino floor and at all casino bars. This will directly eliminate more than 45,000 single-use plastic water bottles per year. Using local on-site water reduces our carbon footprint in bottled water transportation and because Vivreau water is cooled on demand, the system has reduced our refrigerated storage needs.
Electric Vehicle Charging stations
Atlantis is proud to be Reno's only Tesla Supercharger Partner, offering six Tesla Supercharger stations available 24/7 located on the East Lot. Additionally, two Tesla Standard Charger Stations are located in the west parking lot, while two ChargePoint EV Charging Stations are located near the video marquee on South Virginia Street.
Atlantis is dedicated to maintaining and improving energy-efficient practices to reduce its carbon footprint. In 2017, Green Building Initiative honored Atlantis with the Four Green Globes certification. That same year, the Nevada Hotel and Lodging Association
named Atlantis their Sustainability Leading Company of the Year.
Atlantis boasts energy-efficient lighting, variable speed drives on heating and cooling water pumps, and a state-of-the-art energy management system. Other environmentally-friendly features include shower heads that have saved 1.7 million gallons of water
a year, faucets that have reduced water flow from 2.0 GPM (gallons per minute) to an impressive 1.0 GPM, and LED light bulbs that have saved over six million kilowatts per hour since 2005.
+ Learn More
- Light sensors in all hotel bathrooms, back of house departments, outside public areas and glass units automatically turn off lighting when there is enough sun light exposure./li>
- Variable speed drives on all heating and cooling water pumps led to significant energy savings. View the study here.
- A state-of-the art energy management system allows engineers to control and monitor Atlantis energy usage throughout the property.
- Atlantis donates computers to a local supplier that refurbishes, recycles and redistributes them back into the community. The use of cloud and virtualization technology has also helped to reduce energy use.
Developing a healthier environment
Atlantis knows that a healthy environment is necessary for the well-being and vitality of its guests, team members and the community. That is why our environmental commitment extends from our operational practices to our products.
+ Learn More
- Mattresses are EPA approved
- Low energy light bulbs are in guest rooms and motion sensor lights are in bathrooms
- Water-efficient shower heads, faucets and toilets
- Guest room soaps are made from natural ingredients
- Towel and linen reuse in encouraged through signage and eco-benefit explanation
- Laundry detergents and soaps are biodegradable and/or organic
- Use of organic teas and in-room coffee
- Energy efficient dishwashers
- Food is sourced from local growers when possible
- Guests have convenient access to public transportation and airport shuttle service
- Recycling of in-room electronics, televisions, DVDs, radios and partially used linens
Atlantis has an integrated environmental solutions plan that includes an organics recycling program, a single-stream recycling program and a biodiesel fuel recycling program.
+ Learn More
- Atlantis was the first casino in northern Nevada to launch an organics recycling program. Through this initiative, food scraps and other organic materials are separated and diverted from the traditional waste stream and processed into compost.
- A single-stream recycling program captures additional materials from the waste stream. This program allows recyclable materials, such as cardboard, chipboard, paper, plastics, aluminum and steel cans to be deposited into one container.
- Atlantis recycles its kitchen cooking oil waste to make biodiesel fuels, which can be used in place of petroleum diesel fuel for vehicles. Biodiesel is a renewable resource that creates less pollution than petroleum diesel.
Atlantis is sensitive to its guests to want a place to relax, but prefer to do so in a non-smoking area. The installation of a state-of-the art ventilation system allows engineers to control and monitor the property’s air circulation. In ideal weather conditions, the system brings in 100% fresh air. Atlantis offers the following smoke-free areas:
- 86% of guest rooms
- Race & Sports Book
- The Atlantis Poker Room
- The Sky Terrace
- The large section of slot machines by the Gift Shop
- The section of slot machines by java, Etc.
- Toucan Charlie's Buffet & Grille Bar
- The area around and including the Atrium Bar
- Second Floor
- Spa Atlantis
- Fitness Center and outdoor pool deck